Pages

Friday 16 June 2017

That Friday Feeling - Switched at Birth, Some Big Little Lies and Barbie

Hello lovely people. Another week has flown by!

This week I've been focusing on getting back to making healthier choices - drinking water instead of fizzy drinks (diet...but you know...aspartame and all that), walking instead of driving and using Headspace instead of playing on my phone (although there has been a little bit of playing on my phone, those Tsum Tsum aren't going to clear themselves).

I'm feeling much better for making some small changes so I'm going to try to take them forward into the weekend and next week. If you have some small changes you've made which have brought a positive impact then I'd love to hear about them.

Here are a few things that have brought some extra happiness this week...



What I've been watching: Switched at Birth

Oh god. I'm addicted to this programme. Like full on 'just one more episode' for hours on end. The basic premise is that it tells the story of Bay and Daphne - two teenage girls who suddenly discover they were switched at birth, and all the family drama that follows on from that discovery. However, Daphne lost her hearing at a young age and the show isn't afraid to have significant scenes told through sign language (with subtitles). I love watching people communicate, and the different ways we do that, and have been so moved by some of the scenes. Honestly - as much as I sometimes enjoy darker TV shows, I am at my happiest watching a good family drama - and this is absolutely that.

What I've been reading: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

I loved the TV show based on this book, but I'm about half way through the book, and I'm loving it even more. I had no idea the original book was set in Australia, and I love the bitchiness and cattiness between the parents so much more in the book. I think knowing the end is going to spoil it slightly, but it's still a very entertaining read, and perfect for summer lounging.

What I've been surprised by: Barbie Fashionistas

A little bit random for a Friday Feeling, but this warmed my heart a little during a visit to Toys R Us for some present shopping this week, so I thought I would pass it on.



While peering through the sea of pink in the Barbie isle, a doll that was far curvier than the standard Barbie shape caught my eye...and then a Barbie whose face shape seemed completely unlike the usual surgical knife perfection...then a Barbie that seemed taller than most. So I did a little bit of research and it turns out that Barbie has had a make over, to include three different body shapes - curvy, petite and tall, and lots of different skin shades. This is probably old news now, but I hadn't seen them before and feel like it's a step in the right direction in acknowledgement of the fact that kids should grow up understanding we're all different, all look different, and that is something to celebrate. It's been done before my other toy lines, but not one so prominent as Barbie. Oh..and this one is my favourite..I want her outfit...

Photo from Mattel

It looks like the sun is going to be shining in the UK this weekend so I'm looking forward to some good times. Whatever you're doing, I hope it brings some loveliness your way.

Bye for now!

xx









No comments:

Post a Comment