Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2016

Stitch 'n' Tell - Wooden Embroidery


I recently decided to work through a back-log of free craft kits I have gathered from various magazines. The idea was to make some early Christmas presents and do a few simple projects that won't challenge my poor befuddled brain after a long day at work.

My plan was not successful.

I got as far as a really cute kit from CrossStitcher magazine of this swallow (which ticks all of my boxes...birds...retro...Sailor Jerry style...) and then a sudden love for stitching through wood was awakened. Next thing I knew I was shopping for more wooden shapes to stitch. 

I'm waiting for my purchases to arrive (yes, yes, gone are all plans of working through kits I already have) but in the meantime thought I'd share a few favourite wood and stitch crossovers from Etsy. Click the link under each photo if you think this stitching medium could be for you.

Asking for Trouble on Etsy
Christmas pudding cuteness! I'm feeling ridiculously festive, especially considering the fact the autumn  isn't here yet. But it's never too early to stitch a pud, right?

From TheMakeArcade on Etsy

This pendant is so pretty! Love geometric shapes and this style of cross stitch lends itself to it so well.

From MonkeyFabric on Etsy
So simple and yet so cute.

One of the issues I did have with the bird brooch I stitched was the change of colours and the difficulty I had in starting and finishing the different threads. I think I'll definitely try some simple colour-block designs for my next projects.

However - I did love learning that back stitch can still be used to add definition - something I haven't tried when stitching through wood before. 

Have you tried stitching through a medium other than fabric? I'd love to know what you've tried and how successful it was!

Happy stitching 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment